Wednesday, April 4, 2012

'I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck.'

{Quote by Emma Goldman}
We love to throw a party. We feel so blessed to have our home and love the opportunity to share it. We love that having a party is a good nudge to get projects done and get the house clean. But one of my favorite things about throwing a party is doing the flowers! I was SO inspired by this gorgeous bouquet on Pinterest that I based the flowers for the party and even used the same colors for the gift (which I will share here later).
When you have only two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other.  ~Chinese Proverb
 I start off with a trip to the flower store and splurge on a few really lovely things-- this time some peonies, orange ranunculus, ruffly peach roses and another orange flower(sorry- don't remember the name).

Then, I gather cuttings from our yard to fill in... Rosemary, Lamb's Ear, Azalea, Lady Banks Rose, Hosta, Fern, Succulent, Euphorbia, Dogwood, and Mahonia berries.


I never throw a jar away! Besides having free vases at home, they are great for giving away arrangements... My husband especially loves that part because otherwise we can start drowning in jars.

{I love my felco clippers!}
Then I make a really big mess. I go from vase to vase spreading out the flowers and then I do the sculptural work of weaving stems through, propping flower on flower... pinching off a leaf here and there when it blocks a flower from view.

As I worked on these flowers for my cousin's baby shower I felt the presence of her mother, my aunt. She passed away a few years ago after a battle with cancer. She was a true artist whose medium was flowers. She had the most wondrous flower garden (and was the president of her garden club) and she made beautiful arrangements. As I was making little groupings of threes (threes stems of rosemary etc) I remembered the little bits of design advice that I had absorbed from her over the years. My recent passion for turquoise brings up memories of marveling over her brilliantly vivid turquoise eye shadow... she knew that color was nothing to be afraid of, but a friend to be embraced and enjoyed. I knew that my cousin and uncle would have a deep appreciation for lovely flower arrangements; it felt a little bit like having her presence at an occasion that would've been so so dear to her.






1 comment:

Dorothy Peterson said...

Great quote! And the flowers were so refreshing, warming and picture perfect. Thank you for being talented and exercising your floral enjoyment for BP (and me). :)